Black Alumni of SMU Board
The Black Alumni of SMU Board was established in 1995 as an affinity group that supplements the activities of the Office of Alumni Engagement. The mission of this organization is to serve as the link between SMU Black alumni and the SMU community, while promoting the Black Alumni of SMU Scholarship.
Expectations of Board Members:
- Board Meetings: Attend monthly Board Meetings (held on the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m.)
- Plan and Attend Events: Help coordinate and attend events, including the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. parade in January, the Black Excellence Ball in March, and other networking and social events for area alumni.
- Promote the Scholarship: encourage participation in the Black Alumni Scholarship Fund
- Select a Scholarship Recipient: Help select the annual recipient(s) of the Black Alumni Scholarship
- Make a gift to the Black Alumni Scholarship Fund: As proponents of the Black Alumni Scholarship, members of the Black Alumni of SMU Board are expected to make a gift of any amount to the Scholarship each fiscal year. It’s not what you give, but that you give that matters most!
- Black Alumni of SMU meetings are held the second Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. Depending on the group’s upcoming event schedule, meetings are held either in person on SMU’s East Campus or by conference call.
- The amount of time spent in this position will fluctuate; however, a Black Alumni of SMU member can expect to spend 1-5 hours a month on activities (less time between events and more time around events.)
Get Involved Today!
Apply to become part of the Black Alumni of SMU Board today! Fill out our online interest form so we can follow up with you and tell you more about this SMU Alumni Affinity Group and expectations for its Board Members.
Join the Board!